This Web makes use of first-party and third-party cookies with analytic purposes about its activity and which are installed when navigating through the Website. If you keep navigating in it you accept the use which we make of them. If you wish, you may change your preferences in the browser.


Accept cookies Chage its configuration
Gobierno de España - Ministerio de Hacienda y Función Pública
Te encuentras en: Home»Press Room»News

News

CETARSA’s Chairperson meets with the Minister for Agriculture in order to talk about the situation of the tobacco industry

CETARSA’s Chairperson meets with the Minister for Agriculture in order to talk about the situation of the tobacco industry

17/07/2014 - Madrid
Press release CETARSA

The Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Environment, Ms. Isabel García Tejerina, held a meeting at the Ministry’s headquarters with the Chairperson of the Compañía Española de Tabaco en Rama (CETARSA), Mr. Javier Gómez Darmendrail, with the goal of talking about the commercial situation of the sale of raw tobacco in Spain.

CETARSA’s Chairperson informed the Minister about the current status of the negotiations which are being held with the tobacco manufacturing multinational companies and the opening up of new markets; all of this with the goal in mind of providing more stability to tobacco growers in our country.

Other issues which were dealt about in the meeting were the implementation, from 2015 onwards, of the new Common Agricultural Policy (CAP), insisting in keeping the highest possible aid level to tobacco, since from the European Union it has been subject to a drastic reduction process.

A further issue dealt about in the meeting was the implementation of the EU Directive about Tobacco products into the national legal norms through a transposition, stating the importance for all the industry that such a work be as agile as possible. Also, mention was made to the importance of giving voice during the transposition work to all the industry’s parties involved, farmers and processors included, so that the resulting text enjoys the highest possible consensus.

CETARSA

CETARSA, a company in which SEPI has a majority 80% shareholding stake, is engaged in the purchase, processing, and commercialization of raw tobacco in the domestic and international markets; it employs a total of around 450 persons.

The tobacco varieties on which CETARSA focuses its processing activity are the following: Virginia, which means 82.7% of the total entries into CETARSA’s threshing facilities and Burley, with the remaining 17.3%.

CETARSA’s importance is geographically focused on the North of the Cáceres province – where 95% of Spanish tobacco production is grown - which means that this company plays a key instrumental role for the raw tobacco industry and for the overall economy, both at the production area and as a result, in all the region of Extremadura, to which Cáceres belongs.

GRUPO SEPI

CETARSA belongs to Grupo SEPI, a corporate holding which includes a total of 16 state-owned companies in which it has direct, majority shareholding participations, with a final workforce of more than 74,000 professionals in 2013; the Spanish state-owned television and radio corporation, Corporación Radiotelevisión Española, which is attached to SEPI, and one public foundation. Equally, SEPI has direct minority shareholdings in a further nine companies, and indirect shareholdings in more than one hundred companies.

Logotipo ecológico

Antes de imprimir este documento asegúrate de que es necesario. Proteger el medio ambiente está también en tu mano.

Get to know SEPI
SEPI commitment
Companies
Privatizations
Press Room
Marca España web page offers news related to Spanish activity both within our borders and abroadThe Spanish Economy website provides access to the latest key economic information on Spain in english.Dependence FoundCrónica Gráfica
© SEPI - Velázquez, 134. 28006 Madrid. España Tel.: +34 91 396 10 00 Fax: + 34 91 396 15 60 -Legal Warning - Accessibility - Cookies Usage
CSS Válido!
Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional
Icono de conformidad con el Nivel A, de las Directrices de Accesibilidad para el Contenido Web 1.0 del W3C-WAI
Desarrollado por
Empresa de consultoría, tecnología e innovación